Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Extra, Extra, Read All About it!!!

I hate reading the news!!! (But I do it because I HAVE to know what is going on in the world politically) It is always so negative and focuses on all the crime that is going on in the world.

I am one of those weird people that believe that whatever you magnify will get bigger.
So of course crime is high, look at all of the publicity it gets.
Any parent knows that when your child is throwing a tantrum you do not give the child more attention. They will just learn to do that every time they want your attention.

So I sat down with the kids and we talked about our “newspaper wall.”
There is a magnet board framed in our front room that I keep various cards and pictures on. I told the kids that I am going to be watching them. If I see them do something EXTRA nice for someone, I will grab my camera and take a picture of them doing the nice act.
At the end of the week, I will print off the pictures with a small description of the nice thing they did and we will place it on this magnet board for everyone to see.

It’s crazy how excited they got about doing this. I have already taken 5 pictures today and I am sure there will be more. What a fun way to make doing something kind, FUN!!!

The more they see me taking pictures and giving them attention when they do something nice, the more they do nice things.

Now if we could only get the Times News to do the same thing……….. :)

1 comment:

Jess said...

The news is very depressing. I'm not a fan either. But what I am digging are these ideas that you have been putting up for encouraging positive behavior. I'm going to try to monitor how I talk about my kids now.