Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Motherhood: no greater calling

Over the past couple of months, there have been MANY things that have tugged at my heart and made me stop to think about my role as a wife and mother.
I have talked to people who either feel that motherhood means not living up to their full potential, or that it means giving up hopes and dreams to “sit home all day and watch a bunch of children.”  
Motherhood is very educational and rewarding. You don't have to lose your identity by being a mom.  I am trying to help my kids understand that the sky is not even the limit when it comes to dreams they might have. My girls have been helping me make dresses and skirts so we can sell those online and the boys would really like to write a children's book so I am trying to have them help me find out what it would take to do that. I am TOTALLY growing right along with my kids. If I want to learn something new, I have my kids learn with me. If my kids want to know something I don't know, we all learn about it together. It is awesome!! If anything, I feel like I have found myself more than lost myself. I am part of a team and we have a lot of fun round here.

I understand that each person has a right to feel as he or she wishes. We all have an opinion and we are free to share it.  But I have to admit that I have agonized over some of the comments I have heard about motherhood being a waste of one’s time and ability to make a “difference” in the world.  I just couldn’t disagree more………………..but who am I? I am “just a mom."  ;)

I wanted to see what the Lord thought about all of this. I value his opinion more than anyone else's. So I asked.

I got my answer.

Through a very special experience I was told how God feels about the roll of Mothers and Fathers.

God created the earth and everyone in it. Because of this amazing accomplishment He could have gone by so many titles; Great mathematician, Great scientist, or even all powerful Creator. And yet the title He prefers to be called by most of the time is "Father".  And even when you read accounts of him introducing Jesus Christ to others, he OFTEN refers to Jesus as “My son.”
Being a parent is so important to God that even He prefers that title over any other grand and exciting title he could very well be called by.  I love that!! I love the example that He has set for me as a parent. 
As Mothers, we are so VERY blessed to hold this title. We should NEVER be ashamed or feel like we are not living up to our true potential.  

I love that I have the ability to be a parent. I love my children and I love that I get to spend so much time with them. They are my life! There is NOTHING more important I could be doing in this world. Nothing. And the fact that I get to learn and grow WITH my kids.............well.........that is just icing on the cake. :)

No comments: